Monday, November 14, 2011

"Refresh"

Have you ever had one of those days when you wish you could just click the "refresh" button for life?

Come on moms you know what I'm talking about.  You were up all night with a fussy little one.  You ended up pushing the snooze button one too many times, and before you know it, you have less then 15 minutes to get everyone fed, dressed, hair combed, teeth brushed, lunches packed, everyone to the car ready to go.  Let alone this doesn't include the dishes left on the table and in the sink, the loads of laundry that look like Mt Everest is now located in your home, the house that is coated in 3 inches of dust, the garbage sack sitting by the front door that hasn't made it out to the can yet.

This is one of those days we hope and pray that no one decides to do a surprise, stop by visit because we would have to close every door in the house, because beds haven't been made, toys are still strung all over the floor, and did I mention I am still in the sweats I had on yesterday, no make that two days old, along with the lovely torn up baseball cap that is covering the the untouched hair.  No...let me take that back I would not be shutting every door; I just wouldn't be answering the door.  I would be trying to cover my kids mouth because they are yelling "mom someones at the door".

It's not even 8:30am and I am already looking for the "refresh" button.

We moms are pulled every which direction, giving, giving, giving, and sometimes we have those moments when there just isn't anything left to give in us. 

We change diapers, comb hair, wipe noses, give baths, dress them, feed them, tie their shoes, pick up toys, help with home-work, you name it we do it, and it's just not a 8-5 job, it's a 24/7 job.
Don't get me wrong we are blessed by them, love them, but sometimes our tank is running on empty.
For me things have changed...I don't get an hour to get around (I barely get to shower in privacy), I can't just spend an evening reading my favorite book, or be able to do things at a drop of a hat...Instead it's a good day if I am able to get around, lucky to finish a sentence of a chapter, and now going out takes planning and finding a sitter.

All this to say we need that 5 minute break.  That break where we can be uplifted and encouraged.  That moment when even though everything and everyone else around us seem to be out of control, we can have a quick moment of peace and serenity.  I encourage you to find that 5 minutes to be uplifted to help start filling that love tank from empty to full.  Our family, friends and even ourselves deserve a full tank rather then running on an empty tank, with the red light that has popped on, stating that we are about ready to run fully out of steam.  If you haven't already taken 5 for today, I encourage you to stop right now and do it.
"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today..."  Hebrews 3:13

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you sound kinda like me! I've done the shushing kids when someone knocks so I don't have to answer the door in my jammies. And more often than not keeping up w/ the dishes and laundry is a job in itself. Thanks for the reminder to keep my tank full instead of running on fumes like usual. :)

    ReplyDelete