Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"Singing in the Rain..."

"When it Rains; it Pours!"


"When it Rains; it Pours!"  I know we have all heard it and probably said it more times then we care to remember.  Life happens!  So my question to you is, how do you respond to the down pour of rain in your life?

I live in Oregon, therefore, it rains more times then the sun decides to grace us with it's presence.  In fact right now I am beginning to wonder if we will have a summer with sun.  Although it is absolutely beautiful out today, so maybe there is wishful hoping.

As I said earlier, life happens.  Things come up that weren't expected or wanted; some can be exciting and wonderful and others sad and discouraging.  Most of the time when sad and discouraging things come up, that is where our phrase comes in "when it rains; it pours".

Some days that's how my life feels especially through this last year.  I have chosen to see the down pour of rain a little differently then most.  Don't get me wrong, there are still some days when I curl up and wonder if the end of this trial is in sight, or days when I just let the tears flow, but most days I choose to "sing in the rain"

I imagine you are singing the song right now from a great classic movie.  Sorry, now it will probably be in your head all day, you can thank me later. 

So I must say, no, I don't break out into song every time the down pour of rain comes in life.  Although it might make it more interesting.  Instead of seeing life trials as a down pour of sadness and discouragement, I see it as an opportunity to go puddle jumping and sing in the rain. 

We have all done it.  Mostly when we were younger, but some of us recently.  Everyone at some point in time has found that huge puddle and just jumped away, and has come out dirty and wet. Of course you know we enjoyed every minute of it.  Some of us now watch our children do it.  Although most of the time we are saying, NO.  We don't want to deal with the mess and wetness of it all.  It's our first instinct as kids, to see that water resting so peacefully.  Thinking it may need to wake up and come to life.  Before we know it we are jumping away, enjoying every minute, not thinking that when it comes to an end we will be wet and dirty.  Instead we see an opportunity in front of us to relax a little and try to find some happiness in a gloomy day.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.  We may not want, need, or enjoy the rain that is falling, but the fact of the matter, it is.  So we can either grumble and complain the whole time and sit inside and watch it down pour, or we can go with the flow and enjoy some puddle jumping and singing.

There are times through this trial in which it seems so overwhelming, frustrating, discouraging, etc.  The down pour of rain almost seems to have no mercy, but it was/is in those moments when I had/have to make the decision...am I going to be put out by this down pour of rain or am I going to embrace it and make the most of it.  Sometimes all you can do is laugh; sometimes you just have to let loose.

The rain, the puddles, the grey sky might try to bring you down, but there is so much you can grab a hold of in each of those that there is something to be learned from them.  Each moment is a teachable moment.  Are ready to learn something new?

So when life happens, and you find yourself saying "when it rains; it pours", remember that no matter how down the situation is you can choose to sing in the rain.  You have been given an opportunity.  It's up to you whether it will be a good opportunity or not.

"...when their sorrow was turned into joy and their mourning into a day of celebration."  Esther 9:22

No comments:

Post a Comment